The Satanic Temple is a nontheistic religious organization with chapters around the globe. We do not believe in a literal Satan. Our conception of Satan is rather that of the literary Satan of the Romantics, a metaphor for standing up to tyranny and arbitrary authority. Action is our form of worship, and we engage in a wide range of activism and community service.
VIDEO: The Satanic Temple of Seattle's Chapter Head, Lilith Starr, speaks to the Seattle Skeptics
THE SEVEN TENETS OF THE SATANIC TEMPLE
1. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
3. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forgo your own.
5. Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
6. People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.